Thomas Arnett RobertsColonol Thomas Arnett Roberts, Junior, West Point Graduate of 1920, was killed in action in France, leading tanks in "The Battle of Normandy" in Lessay, Normandy, France on 4 August 1944, while commanding the artillery of the 2nd Armored Division.
Our School's History 1946 - 1994
Our School Today"Initially established in 1946 as a comprehensive school in a confiscated German school building on Im Gehege, the Thomas A. Roberts School moved into a new building on Hüttenweg in 1953. Renamed the BERLIN American High School, the school moved to its final location on Am Hegewinkel in 1965. Following the withdrawal of U.S. troops from BERLIN in 1994, the Wilma Rudolph Oberschule moved into the building."
Curator - Allied Museum
15 June 2004
Video of our school as it looks today:
In History 1994U.S. President Bill Clinton visited BERLIN on 12 July 1994.
Our school closed 1 June 1994, the summer the American Allied Forces left BERLIN.
Click here or here for a 1994 "round-table" discussion with Herren Prigge, Bluem, Hildenbrand & Benson.
Mark White - an institution at AFN Berlin. The Program Director from 1953-1988, then had his own radio program at the Berlin commercial radio station "JFK Radio." Gave many a Berlin Brat a job at AFN Berlin!
AFN Berlin´s Mark White now with JFK Radio, July 1994
In History 1992-94
22 June 1990 Decommissioning of Checkpoint Charlie
Checkpoint Charlie is lifted and removed. Now located at the Allied Museum (aka Outpost Theatre).
A replica of the 1961 1st Guard House now stands on the site.
In History 1989The BERLIN Wall fell on 9 November 1989.
In History 1987U.S. President Ronald Reagan visited West BERLIN on 12 June 1987.
Click photo for original speech notes.
After he visited the wall, President Reagan visited Tempelhof and congratulated the '87 graduating class of BERLIN American High School who were present in cap and gowns. At this gala for the celebration of BERLIN's 750th Anniversary as a city, Jasper Kump '87 sang for President Reagan, the First Lady and 4,000 others in the Tempelhof atrium. His repertoire included Summertime (Porgy and Bess), Greatest Love of All (Whitney Houston) and Happy Days are Here Again (in English AND German!) while accompanied by the late Horst Janjowski and the RIAS Orchestra.
Click here for Reagan's speech at Tempelhof.
Click here for Reagan's speech at the Brandenburg Gate.
In History 1983U.S. Vice President George Bush visited West BERLIN 30 January - 1 February 1983.
Bush and his wife made a special visit to the Cole Sports Center where most of the high school students were and they shook many students' hands.
Click on the photo for higher resolution - Mark Millen '83 and Laura Morgan '83.
Click here for a .pdf copy (see pages 1 & 4) of the BERLIN Observer.
In History 1982U.S. President Ronald Reagan visited West BERLIN on 11 June 1982.
Click here for the program and photos.
In History 1979
In History 1978U.S. President Jimmy Carter visited West BERLIN on 15 July 1978..
In History 1976The Cubs become the Bears
Although it was controversial (and many Alumni will always be the Cubs) the mascot transitioned from the Cubs to the Bears. After the U.S. Army Military Football Team disbanded in 1975, Student Council President Vennie Gore '76 proposed and led a school mascot change at a Student Council meeting. "We didn't have a lot of fanfare. The year before the football team didn't win a game. We became competitive that year (1976) 4-4. We wanted to make our statement on the field." - Vennie Gore '76
U.S. Vice President Nelson A. Rockefeller visited West Berlin 13-14 May 1976.
In History 1969Bob Hope visited West BERLIN on 17 December 1969. Click here to see an invitation to "The Bob Hope Christmas Show". Click here for photos from Melvin De Vilbiss '71.
Apollo 11 - Astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin & Michael Collins visited West BERLIN on 10 October 1969.
U.S. President Richard Nixon visited West BERLIN on 27 February 1969. BAHS students were bused to Tempelhof for this event.
View us and our School Flag in the front row at the
In History 1968
The National Junior Honor Society began in BERLIN in 1968.
In History 1967U.S. Vice President Hubert Humphrey visited West BERLIN on 6 April 1967.
Click here for a .pdf copy of a thank you letter to Pricpal LeBrun.
Click here for a .pdf copy (see pages 4 & 5) of the BERLIN Observer.
In History 1966Click here for an article on the 20th anniversary of our school.
In History 1965BERLIN American High School opened new doors on Am Hegenwinkel on 25 August 1965.
Click here for a .pdf copy of the invitation to the opening ceremony.
Click on a photo for higher resolution.
In History 1964Click here for a .pdf copy of Mr. Morasco's invitation to the Groundbreaking ceremony for the new High School on 30 November 1964. Scroll down when it opens, the first page appears blank when you first open it.
Click on a photo for higher resolution.
June 26-27, 1964
Robert F. Kennedy went back to Berlin - exactly one year after John F. Kennedy
In History 1963U.S. President John F. Kennedy visited West BERLIN on 26 June 1963.
"Ich bin ein BERLINer!"
Click here for a .pdf copy of the BB HQ memo, map & ticket courtesy of Maggie (Ellithorpe) MacPherson '63.
Click here for a .pdf 3.5MB copy of a booklet of JFK's visit.
In History 1961Ed Sullivan visited BERLIN in 1961 and filmed 2 shows. Thomas A. Roberts students, the American Youth Center, the Berlin Command Headquarters Theater & McNair Barracks are all featured. They aired 8 & 15 October 61. We graciously received copies of these segments from the Ed Sullivan Estate and show them at Reunions.
The BERLIN Wall was built starting on 13 August 1961.
The 1st German-American Volksfest was held.
Click here for a .pdf 4MB copy of some articles about it and the surrounding time.
In History 1960The Berlin Command Little League became the first European entry in the Little League World Series.
The Outpost of Freedom Chapter of the National Honor Society began in BERLIN on 3 June 1960.
In History 1958The new wing of the school was opened in 1958 to accommodate the growing student body, now totaling 660. The new wing housed the seventh and eighth graders, a home economics room and a shop. Upon completion of the roof our school held a "Richtfest", an old custom dating back to the Middle Ages to thank God for no accidents during the construction and to wish luck to those who will work in the new building.
In History 1956Click here for a .pdf 36MB copy of "The Dependents' Schools Program of the U.S. Army, Europe, 1946 - 1956", posted by The USAREUR History Office.
BERLIN is specifically mentioned on the following pages:
In History 1953A ribbon cutting ceremony on 9 September 1953 marked the opening of the Thomas A. Roberts school on Hüttenweg.
In History 1952T.A.R. High School wins the EUCOM Small Schools basketball title.
In History 1949
The first all schools DSD Annual was published in 1949.
Mr. Kyrios, our Social Studies teacher, Athletic Coach and Principal, was a Harvard grad. He wanted T.A.R. to have the same classy colors so he picked our school colors after his alma mater.
Mr. Kyrios also ensured that every boy in the school was on every sports team and played 6 man football at the small schools. During the Airlift they flew to all their away games: sitting in empty planes on the way out of BERLIN and on sacks of coal or grain on the way back into BERLIN.
Click here for a .pdf 10MB copy of "Operation Vittles"; a cookbook compiled by The American Women in Blockaded BERLIN and published in January 1949.
In History 1948The first full fledged football season began in 1948.
7 September 1948 heralded the opening of the high school, with only eighteen students. But the lack of students did not stop us from having a good time and continuing to uphold our reputation as the best E.C. school. A reputation which will be upheld as long as T.A.R. exists.
DSD Headquarters moved to Karlsruhe in July 1948.
In History 1947On 12 November 1947, after a delay caused by polio, T.A.R. school opened for the second year with a high of 107 students until Christmas when the number started to decline.
Dependents School Division (DSD) Headquarters moved from Frankfurt to Heidelberg.
The North Central Association accredited all DSD high schools and impressive graduation exercises were held for high school seniors in historic halls and German civic auditoriums.
In History 1946
Click here for a .pdf
5MB copy of the BERLIN Guide for the US Military. School facilities are specifically mentioned on page 19 (document page 23) with tuition charges.
In History 1942-43
The Story of AFN
One of the U.S. largest radio networks - The America Forces Network (AFN) - makes it depute.
AFN began its broadcasting from a basement studio in London, England, on July 4, 1943. This
27 minute video captures the sight and sounds of this unique radio network on it's 20th anniversary.
Filmed in Frankfurt, BERLIN, Munich and Orleans, France. Berlin Brats featured on "Accent on Youth"
program along with footage from our AYA/DYA. (National Archives)
A special thanks to the following for helping make all this happen! - Cate Speer '85 WebBrat
and Carl Fenstermacher '73 (Assistant WebBrat)
Please contact us at if you have any additions/corrections/deletions. And ideas!
News :: Alumni :: Faculty :: Contacts :: Members :: Newsletter :: Reunions :: History :: Sports
Yearbooks :: Scrapbook :: PX :: Books :: Marriages :: The Wall :: Guestbook :: Memorial :: Links